Monday, August 10, 2015

Angie's Review of Autumn Rising by Seth King


Synopsis:

Autumn Mahal and Hank Basara know they should stay away from each other. Both recovering from the loss of a mutual friend, and each bearing scars of their own, they know their love would look like a worn cliché, a trite romance novel for teens, some crappy made-for-TV movie languishing on your great aunt’s DVR. But as summer gives way to September and flirtation leads to something deeper, they learn there are some types of love you cannot run from, no matter how hard you try to flee. 

Hilarious, touching and hopeful, Autumn Rising is a novella about the happiness we ruin for ourselves, the truths we can’t hide with a filter, and that elusive and victorious moment when we let love rush in and carry us to the sky. In a world of constant TMI, prepare to feel a story worth sharing – a story that will stay with you long after the summer fades to autumn.

Review:

First let me say that I rarely ever rate a novella or short story higher than 4 stars. Autumn Rising may be classified as a novella, but it reads like a full length novel. I have no idea how Seth manages to pack so much emotion and story into so few pages. The only explanation is that he is a literary genius. Plain and simple.

Autumn Rising is Autumn and Hank's story. They are both dealing with the loss of Summer (as we all are) and are trying to find some comfort within each other. Their story is funny, beautiful and sad. I found myself, once again, crying my eyes out (thank God I have a door on my office!). The book really hit home for me this time. I too lost a best friend just a month ago. I miss her everyday. This passage in the book particularly hit home for me, it is said by Autumn's Uncle during one of their chats:

"I know. Anyway, it took me forever to understand that remembering them quietly is the best thing to do. You don't have to cover your room in posters of them and make a new Facebook status about them everyday, and what not. But then again, you don't have to pretend like they'd never been born, never suffered, never died. Keep a candle for them, but don't let it engulf your life, and don't let it blow out."

Beautiful words of wisdom.

I seriously can's say enough about Seth's writing. There are very few new male authors that I love. Seth has climbed his way to the top of this exclusive list with his poetic words.

5+++++ Stars for Autumn Rising!!

Buy Link:
Amazon:  http://amzn.to/1Ketcr8

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25928206-autumn-rising?from_search=true&search_version=service

No comments:

Post a Comment